rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

World Record Fudge - mmmmmmm

The Royal Winter Fair is here. All the critters and vegetables are being brought from the country to our fair city once again. I have just had another piece of the world record slab of fudge. It was worth every calorie.

I spent a bit of time watching the Clydesdale horses being judged. Now if you ask me what criteria you would use to judge these horses, I'd be way off base. The horse that I thought looked the best only came in sixth. It stood tall and had a handsome coat. It's gait was even and smooth when it was paraded around the ring. It was disciplined and manageable. What's not to like when the horse is quite capable of running amok with not much to stop it, except for a small human? It's a mystery to me. The only thing I understand is the love and hard work that the competitors put into it.

The first place pumpkin weighed 1093 pounds. It didn't do any tricks like the horses. It just sat there and made people gawk in amazement. That's what prize winning pumpkins do.

I went to the second floor of the building and saw the prize winning chickens, ducks and pigeons. Noisy beggars. The prize must be awarded based on the plumage and the decibals of squawk emanating from the bird.

All in all, the Royal Winter Fair is always worth a visit, even if it is noisy, smells like crap and costs a little too much money. It's only once a year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home