rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Saturday, February 12, 2005

Another Trip Around The Sun

(3.14 x 150,000,000 / 365 /24)kph is a wild pace to travel at. As I approach another birthday I think about these sorts of things. I know the scientific among you will balk at my crude math because our orbit is elliptical and not circular, but wotthehell. Our orbit is almost circular, and we get a "free trip around the sun every year" according to my pal Nick. I'm sure he's not the first one to use a similar expression, but it's a good one no matter who coined it.

Everybody thinks they're going nowhere all the time when the exact opposite is happening. Someone once asked Thelonious Monk what was happening. He replied "Everythings happening... every googleplexth of a second!" Monk was right. The universe is a wonderful and fascinating place, and most of us just blindly make our way in it without paying much attention. There are so many things to see and experience in the world, and it's a shame we fall victim to this trend.

The next time you hear someone complaining that they're not going anywhere, tell them they're going 54000 km/h (give or take a few) and to rethink their gloomy outlook.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home