rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Monday, September 18, 2006

How did that get there ?


I know what you're thinking. Another pretty sunset taken with a fuzzy camera. Big fargin' deal you say. I have reason to disagree, and here's why:

PJ took this picture on the shores of the Irish Sea, near Douglas, on the Isle of Man with his cell phone camera. From there, he sent the picture to the Manx cell phone network, which likely connects with the much larger network in either England or Scotland. From there, the image probably got funneled onto a satellite, and sent across the Atlantic to another satellite closer to Toronto. It eventually wound it's way onto the Fido network here in Canada, where it finally landed in my back pocket. It tickled.

That's pretty nifty if you ask me. What's even more amazing about this sort of transaction is that we take it for granted. You have to devote a bit of thought to the underlying complexity of taking a picture thousands of miles away and sending it home to really appreciate it. Otherwise, it's just another pretty sunset.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:39 a.m., Blogger sassinak said…

    damm
    that's fucking cool dude

     
  • At 9:29 a.m., Blogger othercat said…

    There are only five Canadians that I know of. It must be a lovely place if there are more of us.

     
  • At 11:26 a.m., Blogger Handsome Jack said…

    What I like most about this shot is that the two of you were looking at the same sunset simultaneously - that's cool - better than a postcard that says "wish you were here".

     
  • At 11:33 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just a technicality, but it was NOT near Douglas. Douglas is the capital of the Isle of Man and is on the SOUTH-EAST coast of the island. This was taken on the north-west shore facing Scotland (which you can see in the distance). Being a small island, it's only 20km from Douglas .... pj

     

Post a Comment

<< Home