rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

The Other Band

My pals Sassinak, SVD and I went to the wild west to hear our good friend EM play with "The Other Band." Really. That's their name. I guess it's a Who's On First sorta name. Keep the audience guessing.

The party was held to commemorate a super fellow named Larry, who succumbed to cancer not long ago. I hate cancer, and worse still it claimed the life of someone like Larry. Larry approached things with a joyfulness that was hard to dismiss. He had a kind word for everyone who crossed his path. What's not to like? Despite Larry's unfortunate end, a good crowd of people came out to celebrate and think nice thoughts about him. Sassinak and SVD just came to support EM, because they had never met Larry unfortunately.

Over the years, I've played with everyone in this band at one time or another, but never in this combination. They had the classic two guitar rock quartet, and they proceeded to play a whole bunch of tunes.... that EM plays with us on Thursday night. We're going to have to stage a mutiny of sorts. We all look to EM for leadership. Because he knows how to play a zillion tunes. We are just going to have to ask him to dig a bit deeper for his material. There are a couple of tunes that we play in common with The Other Band that we'll likely keep going with, but otherwise, we're going to have to shake our heads and say "No" to most of the crossover stuff. That will only improve the material anyway, because we will make more careful song choices.

EM and the lads were pretty good, and they did a bang up job despite the sound issues. The sound man had some trouble getting monitors set up for the guys on stage. The audience could hear fine, and the mix was ok, but the guys in the band couldn't hear themselves, and it showed. The second set was better once that was sorted out, and a good crowd of people go up to shake their thang on the dance floor. As John Lennon said "A splendid time is guaranteed for all."

Poor Sassinak felt cheated somehow, because it was like EM was just cherry picking the tunes from The Other Band for our set list. It was like he was two timing us or something. I half expected it, because I know the guys in the band, but Sass was irked. It was like sloppy seconds or being cheated on by a partner almost. We'll all survive, but we're going to have to get another set list. We can't have this kind of travesty on our conscience.

The Other Band rocks, but they need a sound man, and our band is in need of a new set of songs.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:02 a.m., Blogger DZER said…

    it's funny because Guam has the equivalent of that band: It's called "Da Udda Band," aka D.U.B.

    just thought I'd share ... and I'm sure there are probably many more "other bands" out there ...

     
  • At 9:59 a.m., Blogger othercat said…

    Likely so Mr. D. I imagine it's a common enough name when the bandmates can't think of anything else.

     
  • At 2:13 p.m., Blogger sassinak said…

    almost as creative as 'the other cat' who was a cat before she was a guy nicknamed othercat

    *grin*

    well put on my emotional response btw.

     
  • At 5:04 p.m., Blogger othercat said…

    Oh well. I had a split second to choose my nickname, and what you see is what you get. I thought my description of your emotional response was right over the top. It's only rock music after all.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home