rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Saturday, December 03, 2005

How did this happen?

I feel like I've been ushered into parenthood without the benefit of a heterosexual relationship and a pregnancy. PJ and I have a tiny, black-haired creature on our hands, and everything has been turned upside down.

Grendel has been home for just over 24 hours, and it appears that things are a lot different because of it.

Last night I went out for a jar with Sassinak and our mutual friend LL. In between pubs, and a brief stop in the underground stairwell, I jokingkly picked up my shoe-phone and called PJ to check on the baby. As much as it was a gag, I was partially serious. I can't help but think I should keep tabs on the little fugger to make sure he's alright. I'm starting to understand how all those new parents think when they have a newborn in the house. Despite the fact that my baby has four legs instead of two, I can identify.

I had to go to the market this afternoon, and I was faced with the unsettling prospect of arranging baby sitting for Grendel. Did that ever feel weird calling my neighbours to ask if I could drop the little brat off for a bit. With a whole bunch of accessories, and puppy in hand, I headed downstairs to leave him with J and B. Do I ever feel like my independance has evaporated.

It sure feels weird having Grendel around. The only thing that gives me hope is knowing our boy will grow up sooner than a human child will, and I don't have to send him to University. If he learns to keep his mouth shut most of the time and shake a paw, he'll be considered fully educated. He's paper trained and nicely socialized already thanks to the nice people who raised him.

Here's to babies of all kinds everywhere. And even moreso, here's to parents. They've got real issues. I've just got a puppy and I'll get over it.

Tomorrow Auntie Sassinak comes over to meet him.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:28 a.m., Blogger sassinak said…

    i'll probably climb in the afternoon and then come by around 6 or so?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home