rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Friday, November 10, 2006

Groovin' In Row J

I just got home from Massey Hall, where I spent an awesome evening in the company of my pal. We were fortunate enough to get tickets to hear Los Lobos, my second favourite rock band. Crazy Socks or Earl Jam, or whatever it is we call our own band this week is still my favourite. Los Lobos is pretty darn good though.

Los Lobos has been cranking out excellent records for a few decades now, and I've purchased as many of them as I can get. Despite my great admiration for their songwriting and playing, this is the first occasion for me to hear them perform on stage. After playing and recording together for over thirty years, the rapport these guys have is nothing short of astounding.

The original quintet has grown to a sextet on account of the drummer switching instruments and taking up guitar. They've hired a new drummer to take over while the band lets fly with a barrage of three guitars, bass, and saxophone. As my long lost Uncle Steve says "lewd pulsating rhythms!" They can play anything they set their mind to, from heavy rock and blues to straight up Latin music. Cesar Rosas, the lead guitarist misheard an audience member and thought he heard "Freddy Fender" being yelled to him. With that prompting, he crossed himself, and led the band through a rendition of "Wasted Days and Wasted Nights." It came as a complete shock to the band, and the audience too, but it certainly showed the group's versatility.

By the end of the night, the usually stoic, but always appreciative Toronto audience was dancing in the aisles, and several dozens joined the band dancing on stage. It's nice to know that some of us still have it in us to enjoy a good rock show. I even smelled the fragrance from someone's doobie a few rows behind me.

Viva Los Lobos and props to the backup band Blackie and the Rodeo Kings. May the good tunes keep coming for another few decades.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home