rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Canada's New Governor General

Canada has a new head of state today. Adrienne Clarkson, has finished her term and made way for Michaelle Jean at Rideau Hall in Ottawa. A lot of people have made a lot of stink about the appointment of Ms. Jean, but I think she's an admirable choice for the job.

She brings an enormous love for Canada to the job. She has to, considering her circumstances. She arrived on our fair shores from Haiti, having fled the brutality of Papa Doc and Baby Doc with the rest of her family. She has shown what can be achieved in this country regardless of their origins.

Sometimes it takes an outsider to point out to us how lucky we are, and this time, we've got someone who is ably qualified to do just that. According to a recent newspaper article, Canadians were among the whiniest folk on earth, second only to the Swedes. I suspect that we would all stop complaining if we looked at the example of Michaelle Jean, and realized what a great nation we live in, and how, given a bit of determination, we can all succeed.

Don't take my word for it though. Read the new Governor General's acceptance speech.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:28 p.m., Blogger sassinak said…

    damm dude thanks for linking that speech. i like it almost as much as the same sex marriage speech you sent me from paul martin

     

Post a Comment

<< Home