rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Small World Getting Smaller

The last couple of weeks have been quite pleasant. I've made contact with a whole bunch of friends from years gone by, some of whom I have not seen in over 15 years. The Mad Sailor and Brian came over to hang out for the day two weeks ago. The three of us embarked on a small road trip to the metropolis of Meaford to see the rest of the Mad Sailor's family. Mrs. C is in good spirits despite the impending knee replacement, and true to form, the Mad Sailor is still hurling barbs at the rest of his siblings.

After we departed Meaford, we decided to find our pal Mark, who can still be found up by the Buffalo Farm. Mark and his lovely wife S are doing well, and so are their two daughters. The old party cottage has been transformed into something a lot more solid and better insulated. It's looking good. That's probably because we're not there every weekend filling the front hall with empty beer cases. Mark still doesn't have any trees to block his view.

We also found Bob slaving over a hot cash register at the LCBO while we were on the road. He suggested to his colleague on the other cash register that she check our criminal records before serving us. I don't know if he was serious or not, because he might have been implicated himself. I'd hate anyone to find out about the truly massive pink flamingo collection.

To add to the wonder of finding old friends, Johnny Q resurfaced. He's doing well dousing fires for the city of Toronto. We have hatched a plan to get together with none other than Todd Injury. Todd has probably been the most secretive of all of us. He got hitched many moons ago, and disappeared from the face of the earth. All of us think that his wife didn't like us for some crazy reason. Seems like she was trying to raise Todd a second time. Mrs. P did a fine job the first time out if you ask me.

And here's the kicker.... Mike, who was inspired enough to write my biography, came over to my table at the Korean restaurant this evening. He has also written a few feature length films. He's in town working on a project or two. I believe he calls Nova Scotia home where he tells me he is happily married with a pair of sons. Good for him. It was startling to see Mike because I hadn't seen him since the early 90s. We had been almost joined at the hip since 1966 when we both met in Grade 1. Forty years of friendship is hard to forget even if there have been some significant gaps in more recent times.

After all these recent contacts with many ancient friends, I feel inclined to call Darrin. I wouldn't want him to miss out on all the fun. We have got to go to Todd's cottage to drink beer and tell lies. Maybe Todd will injure himself again. That would be worth the price of admission.

Where's Robbie when you need him?

1 Comments:

  • At 12:57 a.m., Blogger sassinak said…

    DUDE!

    you saw the biography guy ???? did you get his number?

    anyone who gets a chance should read this thing, it is so funny i almost peed!

    damm that's cool with all the old friends reappearing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home