rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

That's Showbiz

For those of you who don't know, my partner PJ is working on a show for History Television Canada. He has had the remarkable luck of turning his hobby of genealogy into a paying gig. Next to one of his co-stars, he's the ultimate library/archive geek, and knows piles of stuff about local and Canadian history. He doesn't lose trivia contests. It has all been very exciting.

The production company has wrapped the first four shows of the season, and to celebrate, the producer invited the cast and crew to his home the other day for some drinks and some upscale nibbles. There was sushi, and brie, and fresh baguettes, and... a whole bunch of people who didn't bat an eye when PJ introduced me as his partner.

I have got to say that I'm very pleased to have met these folks. A lot of times, I have to pretend, and hide my relationship from people I interact with. Not so with the showbiz crowd. I didn't have to hide and make less than complete statements like "I'm PJ's roommate", or "I'm PJ's friend." The nice folks at the party were quite unfazed to meet me, and happily accepted me as PJ's partner.

A lot of things have changed in my lifetime, and I am glad I live in the heart of Canada's largest and most liberal city. With the passage of same-sex marriage laws this past year I feel like I can dispense with the habits of keeping my trap shut, and being less than forthcoming with people I meet. I don't think I have had to lie, but I haven't told the entire truth at times. And, that can wear on you after a while.

When I was growing up in small-town Ontario, it wasn't unheard of to hear of gay people getting beaten or worse because their "secret" got out. We've all heard of the high incidence of suicide among gay youth. I have lived my entire life wondering if I'm going to be a victim of some kind of discrimination just because I'm the way I am. I can't complain, because I've never been beaten up, but I've certainly heard all the "fag" jokes, and the standard bigotry that a lot of people spout without even thinking a second time.

How refreshing then, to meet people who work with and happily accept couples of all sorts without reservations. The rest of society could take a page out of their book. Couples of any kind are free to marry and conduct their lives openly and less fearfully because our society is changing, and I like to think that Canada is leading the world in some ways. What a wonderful eye opener to have met all these nice people at the party. It's just a small example of how things are changing for the better.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:29 a.m., Blogger sassinak said…

    that seems to be the theme of my day. i'm really glad you had such a positive experience, if everyone were like that things would be better everywhere.

    guess we all just have to keep trying...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home