rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Movin' with Hubris

Like the old saying goes, "If you want to know who your friends are, move."

I guess I'm Hubris' only friend because we've got a cube van mostly loaded with all of his stuff, and it was only the two of us.

I'm sore from a few dozen trips up and down the stairs to his apartment. My hips are complaining big time, and we have to do more of the same tomorrow morning. Ow. The only consolation at this point in the game is the large belly full of delicious Chinese cuisine.

Hubris doesn't have friends at the telephone and internet companies for instance. Not only are they NOT helping him move, they're completely baffled by the idea that their customers actually change residences occasionally. The truck rental joint isn't much better. They told me on the phone that our truck would be available at 3 pm. As it is, we had to wait until 4:30 to drive off with the moving vehicle.

Oh well. Such is life. Most people scurry away like cockroaches when the kitchen light comes on at the mere mention of moving day. I don't mind helping out, but I feel too old for this merde any longer. I should stop being so friendly and leave this moving business to the younger crowd. But then again, if I wasn't helping Hubris move, I'd have nothing to complain about. It's a fair trade.

10 Comments:

  • At 11:02 p.m., Blogger sassinak said…

    it's unfortunate that i'm teaching all around the moving times...

    i'm sad you're working so hard.

    i always just hired a couple of large aquaintances for the day and offered money or beer :)

     
  • At 12:01 a.m., Blogger HuneeB said…

    Good friend!

     
  • At 2:47 p.m., Blogger Lia said…

    oh sucky. moving is hard. i am luckily just packing a few things this time around. Hope you don't have too many aches and pains before your trip this weekend! Have a great time. Looking forward to seeing you in Ottawa.

     
  • At 3:06 p.m., Blogger Handsome Jack said…

    A friend will help you move. A true friend will help you move a body.

     
  • At 8:25 p.m., Blogger sassinak said…

    i am definetely not a true friend

    well okay, for othercat maybe

     
  • At 8:35 p.m., Blogger HuneeB said…

    lol at Sass...just dont tell me it is a body, tell me it is a trunk of old magazines or something...

     
  • At 10:32 p.m., Blogger othercat said…

    Well... Hubris did have an old milk crate with bricks and some free weights in it. The weights I can under stand, but bricks?

    Fortunately, he did not have a body that I know of.

     
  • At 2:20 a.m., Blogger HuneeB said…

    maybe the bricks were left over from burying the body?

     
  • At 8:38 a.m., Blogger othercat said…

    The other outlandish item, if I may be so bold as to let the world know, is Hubris has three big rubbermaid tubs full of lego. There must be thousands of pieces. That stuff gets heavy when you accumulate that much. The man still plays with Lego! WTF?

    The view from Hubris' is worth it though. Now he has a wonderful vista of the entire Toronto skyline, and the island as well. Maybe he'll recreate the city with tiny plastic blocks from Denmark.

     
  • At 1:55 p.m., Blogger HuneeB said…

    LEGOS! Love it! hey it could be worse...at least he is an oldskool kid :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home