rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Spotticus Maximus 1991-2006



The old feline has made her way to the Great Catnip Patch. After all the trials at the vet last month, Spot didn't really regain her usual lust for life. She stopped eating and only through the use of subcutaneous fluids were we able to keep her properly hydrated. She had a little bit of fight in her when it came to dealing with Grendel. The throaty growl of the aggrieved feline let us know that Spot was still in the game.

I'm much more bummed out than I thought I would be. Spot never really was much of a people oriented cat. She and I got along alright, but she didn't really warm to many other people and even less so to her two quadrupedal housemates. She never really liked the Othercat, and she certainly didn't like the wee canine. It took Spot years to like Sassinak Spot was just a little more choosy than the rest of us. Sass is a genuine cat-person, and it's easy for most people and animals to like her.

She had 15 healthy years, and she got some love and affection from me when she really needed it. I have been agonizing over the decision to part company with the old kitty for a while now, and no matter how much preparation you make, it's still a shock to see a once vibrant cat get old and sick. Despite her reserved and sometimes caustic nature, Spot was my pal.

We walk in the door to our homes, and the first thing we do is look for our pets. Where are they? Are they happy to see us? Do they give a damn? It really doesn't matter because at the end of the day, you've always got a friend if you've got a pet in your home. I still look for the Othercat and Strobelight and they've been gone for years. I am sure I will have visions of Spot lying in her favourite place for a while.

Spot, the Othercat, Strobelight, and Sandy, and all the other pets I've known have come and gone, and still a little piece of them is still around. Thank goodness for the persistence of fond memories, because that's all that's left now.

Adieu Spot, and thanx for the memories.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:26 p.m., Blogger Handsome Jack said…

    I am so sorry that Spot is gone. And I think of my lost pets - Biffy, Junior, Sir Francis, Maxie, Tom, Winslow, Alice (yes, I once had a cat named Alice) - it's quite a list when I start reminiscing ... we are lucky they come and spend there time with us, that's for certain.

    Love

     
  • At 8:53 p.m., Blogger othercat said…

    The list goes on and on. Despite the heartbreak at the end, it's still worth having the soft fuzzy cretins around because our pets teach us how to love unconditionally. We humans need that.

     
  • At 6:06 p.m., Blogger sassinak said…

    yes, yes we do. even when we don't want to.

     
  • At 1:01 a.m., Blogger othercat said…

    Fond memories and scars.

     
  • At 11:20 a.m., Blogger Lia said…

    It's terrible to lose a kitty. i just found out that my cats are much older than I was told they were, so selfishly all I am hinking about is how much less of them I get :(
    Ah well. Cats are wonderful. We are very lucky we have them, indeed. Cute little buggers.

     
  • At 5:37 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have had my Bengal for 4 years now, and she is named Spot. We call her Spotticus and Hippopoticus. I hope that gives you some comfort.

    Radarpuss is 14 and I dread the day.......

     

Post a Comment

<< Home