rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Must Escape

What does a guy have to do to escape for a few days?

Every time I've attempted to have an extended long weekend this summer, I've gotten sidetracked and haven't been able to get away. The Hillside Festival doesn't count because I have to take on a part time job while I'm there. I'm talking about sitting on my ass and being able to do it for the whole four or five days. I was looking forward to hanging out with the Paperguy and his wife at one of the best beaches in Ontario. You think I could get away? Not a chance. To add insult to injury, the Paperguy called to tell me how much fun it was, and how I'd have been delighted with the reappearance of all sorts of wildlife in the park.

As for me, I got stuck in Toronto again. I drove north to Bracebridge for a day... to attend a funeral. I'm not griping about the funeral of course, because it's one of those things that you have to do. "If I don't go to your funeral, you'll probably skip mine!" It's just annoying to cancel long-awaited plans at the last minute due to familial obligations.

My partner is having all the fun traveling around the country these past few months, while I've been stuck in the city waiting for an opportunity to bugger off. So far, it's not happening. This self-employment thing is getting on my nerves. Microsoft Products don't really break on a set schedule. I've just got to be ready for the call whenever it comes. The fine hardware that MS products run on doesn't give me any warning either. The sound of my cell phone haunts me.

For once, I'd like to disappear without the worries. It's a never ending pain to make plans, and then have to change them at the last minute. I'm going to go mad if I have to cancel my labour day camp. I'm hoping to finally get to sit on my lazy ass and watch the grass grow. Is that too much to ask?

The most irritating thing about the self employment game is that I don't get paid if I try to have a life like regular folks. The economy abhors a vacuum, and someone else will take the job if I don't get to it. I read stories about the French getting four or five weeks per annum for vacation while us North Americans are happy to make do with two weeks or less. The incidence of stress related illness in France must be much less than it is here in Canada.

I'm going to sulk now and do some breathing exercises. See you on the beach!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:50 p.m., Blogger sassinak said…

    well *I* ain't cancelling no camping plans either!

    do you know if svdw still wants to come?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home