rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Nameless Katz

I dunno about my friend Sass sometimes. She has an adorable little kitten that she was decent enough to rescue from the Humane Society a few weeks ago. I applaud her motives, and like her new companion immensely. The kitten is outgoing and friendly. The kitten is old enough that it's not totally crazy like the youngest kittens are, and ... it doesn't have a name.

How hard is it to give a cat a name? They respond to the most basic of stimulus, like "where's the litterbox?". "Where's the food dish?" "That sound must mean the human is trying to get my attention." "That sound must mean the human is angry because I've just attacked the flowers."
It's all about intonation and delivery. Cats really don't have much of a clue when it comes to the English language. That and the opposable thumbs problem.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to wait and see what Sass conjures up to name the little beggar for another week or so. I just figure it shouldn't be that hard.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:46 p.m., Blogger Handsome Jack said…

    Naming a cat is not as simple as you'd think. Why it can sometimes take longer to name a cat that it does to name a boat. Take Jack for instance. We didn't find out his real name for almost 4 months during which time he went by the handle of Friendly, which is true, and it's okay I guess if you don't mine having an adverb for a name, and it was confusing as hell for Freddie. But one day, he just stood up and announced his name was Jack. Who knew.

     
  • At 7:34 p.m., Blogger sassinak said…

    That's what happened to me with Mouse (my previous cat) ... i knew her for five weeks before she told me her name. Methinks the kitten isn't quite home yet.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home