rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Canis Non Grata or Whatever Happened to All the Fun In the World?

After Grendel and I went to the flea market yesterday, we stumbled home and crossed paths with our neighbour J. She just happened to be on the way to the local for a jar, and I accepted her invitation to come along. Grendel and I had been to the pub before, and of course the little fugger broke all the barmaid's hearts while I enjoyed my jar of Creemore Springs.

This time around, it was a different story. In recent years, the authorities in our fair city have cracked down on bars and restaurants for all sorts of things. It has gotten so weird that bar owners are making some pretty draconian decisions. Sean, our waiter sternly told me that Grendel wasn't welcome. Sean was pleasant about it, and probably didn't give too much of a damn about having the wee canine in the bar personally, but he had to do the dirty work and tell Grendel that he was Canis Non Grata. I can't really blame Sean, because he was just following the rules, such as they are.

What I'd like to know is whatever happened to all the fun in the world? We were in a bar, nobody was eating food, and the place was packed with people who were probably filthier than Grendel will ever be. One guy was so drunk that he staggered out into the street to get a cab, and before he could embark on his journey home he pissed himself. Now I suppose if he had wet himself in the bar, he would have been kicked out, but this is a human who was way more hazardous than Grendel. Some people shouldn't be allowed in public.

I just wish that cooler heads would prevail sometime and that people would look the other way when harmless but supposedly illegal behaviour occurs. I'm not advocating letting animals run our lives, but wotthehell. If you've ever been out for a jar in Britain, chances are good there's a pub dog around. Apparently, I wouldn't even be able to bring Grendel out to the patio during the summer. It just goes to show you that there are too many thin-skinned folks whose knees jerk at the slightest provocation, and what's worse, they're ruining sensible people's lives. No food in sight, and I've got an unwelcome lap-dog. Big fargin' deal.

I think Grendel got kicked out because he's black.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:29 p.m., Blogger sassinak said…

    that sucks dude... it's actually an allergen thing... sucks but what can you do right?

     
  • At 12:51 p.m., Blogger  said…

    poor grendel!
    file a human rights complaint!
    hee hee.

     
  • At 1:21 p.m., Blogger othercat said…

    Umm... he's not human? I doubt there's a chihuahua rights organization that I can raise my concerns with.

    Fight for peace! Little Mutts of the World Unite! Grrrrr....

     
  • At 3:48 p.m., Blogger Handsome Jack said…

    Naw, it's 'cause he's black.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home