rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Sour Apples

I'm irked. For the third time since I got my MacMini computer, I've had to reinstall the OS-X from scratch. Here's the scenario: I put an audio CD into the drive, and usually, Itunes starts up and plays the disk. The lewd pulsating rhythms come out of my speakers, and I am a happy guy. Once in a while, the computer gets into a retarded state, and refuses to do anything. I can't kill Itunes or eject the disk. I can't tell the computer to shutdown and restart. My back is to the wall, and I have to push the power button.

This is where the real trouble starts. For the third time, I got a nice little folder icon in the middle of the monitor with a flashing question mark. Invariably this means the partition table on the disk is corrupt, and I've lost all my data. The disk first aid utility can't fix it either. I have no option but to erase the disk and start from scratch. It wasn't so bad the first couple of times, but this time I've lost some real work. I think if someone tells me that Apple computers are superior to Intel based systems running Windows or Linux, I'll have no choice but to laugh in their face and tell them my sad tale.

I'm sick of this, and I'm going to pout until I get my little computer fixed. I'd like to see Apple exceed my expectations for once. I've been abused by Microsoft and Intel for years. It's Apple's turn to see if they can do better. So far, I'm thinking there isn't much difference. I'm going to "think different" and show contempt for Apple too. So far, I'm not exactly jumping for joy because I've got another brand of computer.

After several hours of fiddling, I've finally got it back to a state where I like it. This time I'm going to make a backup or two so I don't have to mess around for so long if it happens again. Then I'm going over to the computer shop to raise hell.

Needless to say, this blog entry was composed on my PC.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home