rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Full House



We are bursting at the seams. My pal's marriage has gone for a big shit, and he needed a place to stay so I have offered him the luxury of our couch for a few weeks. It's official too, because he's got a DHCP assignment on our network and he's sharing packets.

I scratch my head when I hear about all the homeless folks out there. One case in particular struck a chord with me recently. A homeless man who had worked hard to raise the profile of homeless people in Toronto passed away, and his sister came forward to eulogize him. While his advocacy is to be admired, I can't help but wonder why his sister couldn't have bothered to help put a permanent roof over his head instead of leaving him to the streets. A eulogy doesn't help the poor fugger who just died.

If I'm in a position to help someone I know avoid the harsh life on the streets of Toronto, then who am I to complain. It's obviously a little inconvenient to have a third person living with my partner and I, but it's also the right thing to do. It makes me wonder why there are so many homeless people. People talk the good talk, but don't necessarily practice what they preach. People should stop being so disfunctional and extend a hand to their friends and family who occasionally fall on hard times instead of leaving them to the urban jungle.

I've never really worried about money too much. If I have it, it's good, and if I don't have it, I hurry up and wait for things to improve a little bit. If there are enough resources to get by, I've never shied away from helping friends who are a less fortunate. I figure that someday I may need a hand myself, and I hope that my friends will be as good to me as I've been to them. It's only right and "money doesn't care who owns it".

5 Comments:

  • At 7:30 p.m., Blogger sassinak said…

    dude i don't think you have any idea how special and wonderful and generous you are. you're right that it's the right thing to do but that doesn't mean that most people aren't assholes.

     
  • At 11:48 p.m., Blogger othercat said…

    Couldn't there be a few less assholes in the world though? That's all it would take to fix a ton of problems. jeez....

     
  • At 3:39 p.m., Blogger sassinak said…

    yeah dude i know... but people prefer hoarding to sharing

     
  • At 7:52 p.m., Blogger Handsome Jack said…

    Helping a friend is one thing there ole buddy, but the homeless is a whole nother ballgame. A lot of them folk do NOT want to come in from the cold. They don't like rules and they don't like being beholdin' to other folks for helping them out. Do what you can for those who will accept your aid but don't get carried away blowing your own horn ... metaphorically speaking.

    There's a story about the fateful night Jesus was waiting with the faithful in the Garden of Gethsemane and a young boy and his father prayed and prayed at his side. As the night wore on, the faithful got tired and one by one they fell asleep. The boy tugged at his father's sleeve and said "We're better than them aren't we, because we stayed awake." The father answered "We were up until you said that."

     
  • At 11:42 p.m., Blogger othercat said…

    I guess you're right Coco. I shouldn't get too carried away with the self congratulatory BS. Nobody wants to hear me tell everyone what a great guy I am. If I have to say it, chances are I'm not as great as I think.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home