rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Friday, November 18, 2005

Close Encounters of the Canine Kind

I get to meet Grendel this coming Sunday. I'm going to head to Acton to visit his humans and lay eyes on the little fugger for the first time. I have to admit I'm excited, and a bit apprehensive about going to the breeder to check this thing out.

First, it means this is really true. Our quiet and predictable life is going to be turned upside down by letting a small baby canine into my house. We've got to Grendel-proof things so there's less chance of him pulling things apart while he explores his new home.

Second, I'm concerned that he's going to be a yappy little thing. I've met some really cool Chihuahuas in my time. I was surprised at how intelligent and well behaved they were. Others have been noisy and annoying to a degree I wouldn't care for.

I have a good feeling about the breeder after having talked with her on the phone. After having trolled her ads on the classified web site, I notice that she has been raising these dogs for a while, and I have got to assume that she's doing something right. It feels to me like she has a steady but small production of really small dogs. None of this nefarious puppy mill stuff going on here. That's comforting. If she breeds them, and lives with them, I can only guess that her dogs are relatively sane and don't freak out too much like some small dogs do.

The most important aspect of all this is I get to see PJ really happy. He's been wanting a small dog big time, and this is as small a dog as you can get. I will have to forget my disdain for Chihuahuas and get used to watching underfoot.

I wonder what Spot will think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home