rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Adieu Gord

Sad news folks.

Yesterday I heard that a band-mate from years ago passed away. I have not had any contact with him in recent years beyond the occasional email joke and exchange to wish him well on holidays. He left the city and headed east for small-town Ontario. Like all of us, he had issues with his relationships and battled depression. I hope that country life agreed with him.

He was the most solid guitarist you could ever hope for in a group. When everyone was losing their place, Gord was solidly on track. He could rescue the song from an absolute train wreck with a small grin and a blistering guitar solo that would point the way forward. He knew zillions of tunes too. Not only did he know the hooks and the little bits to dress up his part, but he also knew how to get the sound that was appropriate to the tune too. He had an almost encyclopedic knowledge of pop music under his fingers. From the Beatles to Zeppelin, Gord knew it.

When I heard that he had succumbed to a heart attack, I was dumbfounded. He wasn't that ancient. I guess that he was in his mid 50s at most. I settled into a restless sleep last night thinking about how the world is a little emptier.

So long Gord. Rest in peace.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home