rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Riley B King - born in 1925 and still going strong

I just attended a performance of BB King at the Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto. I sprung for a pair of tickets to treat my pal Sassinak for her recent birthday. This has to be the sixth or seventh time I've had the pleasure, and despite Mr. King's advancing years, he still has what it takes.

He has a top notch band and a guitar technique that continues to impress. His booming baritone voice still gets your attention whether he's relating a corny story or singing one of his trademark tunes. His second guitarist would mop up the stage with most other players while the band warms up, and then Mr. King shuffles on and takes over the entire venue.

I once read that BB King spends something like 270 days of the year on the road with his band. That's not bad considering that he will turn 80 years of age this coming September 16. I hope I have as much energy if I'm alive at that age.

I've heard two elder statesmen of the music business this summer now. BB King and Sonny Rollins, who is 5 years younger. Both men have a commanding presence and an infectious joy that comes from playing music and making a life of it. Here's to both of them. May they continue to perform and play as much as they can for as long as they are able.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home