rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Sunday, October 09, 2005

A Grand Journey Has Begun

I found it. I was a little early for a breakfast date with Lividviv the other day, so I went looking for the source of the Grand River. I headed west from Dundalk Ontario a couple of country blocks, and then I headed south. Sure enough, right where the map said it should be, I found a tiny stream trickling through some swampy terrain.

At it's northern reaches the Grand is a small creek that doesn't stand out as anything particularly remarkable. If you follow it downstream the name "Grand" certainly fits. From the swamps of Grey County, it heads south all the way to Lake Erie gathering speed and volume as it passes through some of the larger cities of our province.

I suppose it's been done before, but I'd like to follow the Grand River all the way from it's source to the mouth. It strikes me as a fine adventure to fill the gas tank of my car and load up on batteries for the digital camera. Something tells me I'll need a good day or more to follow through, but if anybody wants to come along as my navigator (Sassinak, Hubris) then let's roll.

As an added bonus to my great discovery, I had a wonderful breakfast at the Junction Diner with Lividviv, and I gave her a saxophone lesson too. It was a grand day.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:15 p.m., Blogger sassinak said…

    hey that sounds like a great trip, can we do it in canoe?

     
  • At 8:07 a.m., Blogger othercat said…

    That sounds like an even bigger adventure. We'll need more that a day or two if we do that. Plus, I suspect that the upper reaches of the river are impassible. There would be lots of portages. The lower reaches will be a different kettle of fish because of the current and all of the dams.

     
  • At 4:32 p.m., Blogger sassinak said…

    kayak?

     
  • At 6:14 p.m., Blogger othercat said…

    PT Cruiser ?

     
  • At 1:13 p.m., Blogger sassinak said…

    yeah yeah :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home