rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Maybe I've Overreacted

My last post was way over the top, though I'm sure a lot of people are close to feeling the same sentiments. Christmas can be stressful for most of us in the western world. Commercial activity and spiritual renewal rarely go hand in hand.

Look at other religions to compare. They don't have the Diwali Bunny or the Ramadan Rabbit. You don't see the Hanukkah Hare either. Whereas, here in the largely Christian and western world, we've got characters like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny to obscure the real meaning of serious, and useful holidays like Christmas and Easter.

Western materialism seems to hit a sore spot every year, but at the same time, we've only got ourselves to blame. I like the idea of buying presents for my friends and family. The warm fuzzy feeling of being nice to them wears off when I realize that I've spent far too much money and effort doing it. It's not a balancing act, but after all, it's true: It is better to give than receive.

In retrospect, one of the best Christmas celebrations I ever had was the one where everyone in my immediate family bought me socks. No kidding. One present after another, I opened another pair or package of socks. I couldn't believe it really. At the end of it, I was laughing quite hard at my strange fortune. I realized that my family loved me, but socks? From everyone? Warm and fuzzy indeed.

I hope everyone has a good Christmas this year, and don't let the mayhem and the greedy expectations get in the way of a pleasant break from work and a time to reflect on Christ's impact on our lives. Merry Christmas, Felice Navidad, Hare Krishna and Jah Rastafari!

1 Comments:

  • At 2:25 p.m., Blogger sassinak said…

    hey dude
    when are we going to see each other? christmas night? boxing day?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home