rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Monday, November 27, 2006

I'm disgusted now.

There's a busy intersection a small block east of Yonge St on King St. It's right across from the King Edward Hotel. Lots of traffic, and even more pedestrians. Caution is always a good policy.

This afternoon, while on my way home, I saw a guy pull a hasty left turn from King St. onto the side street, and he nearly hit a young woman with his car. She was on her way to the subway from the college campus down the street. She was surrounded by several of her friends, so it's not like she was isolated or hard to see. The knuckleheaded driver was just too impatient to play it safe.

Fortunately she wasn't hit by the car. The worst part of the whole incident was when she yelled at him for making such a close call. He stopped, rolled down his window a crack to hear what the woman had to say. I figured he was taking his lumps like a man. I was wrong.

The bugger had the audacity to laugh at this poor woman, as if her safety wasn't any of his concern. He was quite amused at the fact that he had frightened a pant-load out of her. I walked around the back of his car to hear this sickening exchange. It's one of those times when I wish I had a few seconds extra to evaluate the situation. I would have planted my boot on his car to leave him a reminder that you shouldn't mess with pedestrians. A few hundred dollars of damage to his car would have taught him a lesson.

I hope that Toronto's finest catch up with him someday, and yank his license... after they kick his ass.

9 Comments:

  • At 4:01 p.m., Blogger Handsome Jack said…

    Gee Other - this incident has gotten you in quite a knot. It sounds like you're just about as mad at yourself for not doing anything as you are at the guy driving the car. As for him laughing - well, laughter is a nervous reaction and often has nothing to do with humour. The reckless driver may very well know how close he came and his nervous response came out via laughter. Laughter is a means of stress relief. Try it. You'll feel better.

     
  • At 6:58 p.m., Blogger othercat said…

    I hope your explanation is right. The appropriate response would have been to say "sorry" but I think he was laughing because he didn't give a damn.

     
  • At 11:35 a.m., Blogger Handsome Jack said…

    Still mad huh. You know there are lots of dickheads in the world. So take a big breathe and be glad you aren't one of them. Ancestors in the Attic is on tonight so that's a good thing :)

     
  • At 2:03 p.m., Blogger Handsome Jack said…

    And be grateful you didn't put the boots to his trunk. That would have just brought you down to his level.

     
  • At 2:06 p.m., Blogger othercat said…

    I'm ok now. I just wish that this particular guy wasn't such an ass. I can understand a nervous giggle, but he was laughing derisively when the young woman objected to his less than capable driving skills.

     
  • At 7:51 p.m., Blogger Handsome Jack said…

    I'm wondering what the young lady said. Was it "You nasty inconsiderate oaf!" or was it more like "You @#?%$^@#&+" piece of dog dung.

     
  • At 8:53 a.m., Blogger othercat said…

    I'm not exactly sure what she said. I do know that the look on her face was quite telling though. She was quite shocked to hear the driver laughing derisively at her.

     
  • At 9:01 a.m., Blogger Handsome Jack said…

    What's become interesting about this incident now is the several other similar events that have occurred in the last 36 hours, were drivers are running over pedestrians, some not so lucky as your young woman. Still, I'm glad you didn't kick his trunk in.

    The other thing that's scary about this is the reminder of when PJ got ran down in the street. I also recall you running after some characters for hitting a car and getting beaten up for your trouble. The streets are a dangerous place.

     
  • At 9:47 a.m., Blogger othercat said…

    Seems to be the case. I just want to run away to the forest to listen to the trees groan.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home