rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Bright Sunny Day Equals Confusion

Overall I've had another day of improvement. My vision gets sharper by the day. The colour perception is still dodgy, and worst of all, my sensitivity to light is proving quite difficult to deal with. I can't complain, but I can certainly observe.

It was bright and sunny here in Toronto for the entire day. I really felt like the dimmer switch had been turned up a fair bit. It's the most light I've seen in over three weeks now.

I wore my sunglasses most of the day to limit my exposure to light, except while I was in my Pilate's class in the morning, and for a bit this afternoon. Even with the sunglasses however, I found that I have a time limit for exposure to bright lights.

Late in the afternoon I went to the market for some goodies, and much to my chagrin, I found that things had gotten much darker than they were earlier in the day. The sun was still above the horizon, and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. My eyes felt differently even though there was a surplus of ambient light.

As I was wandering amongst the vendors, the dimmer switch got turned down to about half what it was earlier in the day. I was quite baffled when I went into the Asian food supply store, and couldn't read a damn thing. I could only tell products by their shapes and sizes rather than making out the packaging details. Worse still, I started into a mild panic when my eyes started fading. I made it home feeling quite agitated. With a bit of rest, and some breathing exercises my vision perked up again. It was disconcerting.

I am definitely going to have to watch my exposure to sunlight for a while until I have a consistent reaction to light conditions. My pupils are not really in sync with the demands of the current light.

Overall, my vision is better, but the warning signs have been posted. I am eager to resume driving, but I think I'd better cool my jets until I'm certain I can handle the varieties of light. Walking the streets and public transit seem to be the appropriate modes of transport for the foreseeable future. It's too bad Toronto doesn't have the luxury of a frozen canal to skate around on like some other town I know.

Two steps forward and one step back. At least I had a good feed on the best pizza in the city to compensate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home