rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Mission of Mercy

Sass has the crud. Full tilt sounds-like-death crud. When I called her on the phone earlier, she was hoarse and drowsy sounding. I thought, here I am puppy sitting with a bag of Ricola, a bottle of Buckley's mixture, both unopened, some rare spices, and my best pal in need of a visit.

Needless to say, I went to her aid like any good friend should do. With Grendel in hand, I gingerly set foot across the threshold and waited for the sparks to fly. Sassinak has two cats you see. One is a year old kitten, and the second is several years old, and well into her adulthood. It's not a huge intellectual leap to imagine what two full sized cats could do to a chihuahua puppy. I was sure it was going to be a stressful situation.

Did Grendel ever prove me wrong. Once he got his bearings he began to scope out the cats, and they in turn kept a safe distance away until they could figure out what Grendel was. Soon enough, Harriet (who has a name finally) began playing a rousing game of chase the chihuahua. Grendel whimpered a few times when he couldn't reach her up on the bed, and when she had him cornered. Otherwise the two of them had Sass and I in stitches with their antics.

The older cat had a different take on the situation however. She was likely grateful the yearling was bugging someone else besides her. At the same time, she wasn't as thrilled about the presence of a puppy. Interestingly enough, she still restrained herself when Grendel snatched a few kibbles from her bowl.

All in all, it was a great meeting of the species. Dogs, cats and humans just getting along perfectly.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:40 p.m., Blogger sassinak said…

    oh man i have tears in my eyes just remembering how funny that meeting was. full tilt chase around the apartment. harriet hasn't moved yet!

     
  • At 8:54 p.m., Blogger othercat said…

    Grendel is passed out from all the action too. It was a fun filled afternoon for the critters, and I had a good larf too. I'm glad it buoyed your spirits. That was my main objective.

     
  • At 9:22 a.m., Blogger Lia said…

    That is HILARIOUS. Yes, I'd LOVE to go snowshoeing with you! I am really missing you this Christmas. I get to see all my Ottawa friends but no Toronto friends, SNIFF!! Well, I am thinking of you and Tania and Fleur and wishing you the best Christmasses. I hope you and Paul have a terrific trip!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy you get to do that.
    Lots of love
    L

     
  • At 1:44 a.m., Blogger da buttah said…

    Awwww that reminds me of when I first got my kitten. My dog had seen cats before, but the cat did a whole "holy jesus, what is that huge thing sniffing my butt?"

    Now they sleep together--when they think i'm not looking--and the first thing my dog does is look for the kitty when she comes home from daycare, and the first thing the kitty does when she hears sofie walkinto the apartment, is run out into the hall to say hi.

    so cute ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home