rambling othercat

I'm a 40 sumthin' computer geek. I like to barmp my sax with the band on thursday nights. I live in Toronto with my partner, and Grendel, a chihuahua.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Stephen Harper vs Stephane Dion

There are two guys named Steve running the government and the loyal opposition. I wonder if that has ever happened before?

Every time I read the news, I get a bit annoyed with the current Prime Minister and his snivelling caucus. They've held power for almost a year, and they are still behaving like they're still in opposition. It appears that all they know how to do is attack the previous government's record, dismantle positive programs and float ridiculous trial balloons.

They talk the good talk about an inclusive society, but they're busy dismantling the offices of the Status of Women's organization. They talk about fairness, but they're curtailing legal aid programs on a massive scale. They are disingenuously raising a motion to reopen the same-sex marriage debate for no other reason than to gain political points among their power base. They have dropped the ball when it comes to following through on the Kyoto Protocol. I could go on, but the foam coming from my mouth might damage my computer keyboard.

Don't these guys know they have a minority government? The good people of Ontario could tell the rest of Canada what kind of damage these neo-conservatives can do. The current Finance Minister and Chairman of the Treasury Board were both hatchet men for a thug named Mike Harris, who did an incredible amount of damage to our province.

I spent part of the day last Saturday watching the Liberal Party leadership contest unfold, and Stephane Dion has appeared like a breath of fresh air on the political landscape. He's got smarts and experience. He has remained unscathed by the sponsorship scandal, and most importantly, he's a devoted environmentalist. Compared to the current Prime Minister, he has already shown his ability to lead by example rather than micro managing his caucus. This is the exact opposite of Stephen Harper. The return of the Liberal Party to power in Canada can't come a moment too soon here, because our government is an embarrassment at best, and more likely a looming disaster at worst.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:44 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    it makes me nuts that my government embarrasses me... but it does.

    i like mr. dion more and more the more i hear about him, i look forward to watching him spank mr. harper.

    it's his election to lose... let's hope he doesn't take a page from the kerry book

     

Post a Comment

<< Home